Tuesday, March 14, 2017

I promise

I hate running.  Today.  You too? 

Today is a day to hunker down, settle in and watch the snow fall.  But we’re runners, we have race goals and training mile obligations.

If you’re training for Boston, you should be doing an 18-20 miler this week.  When I was training for Boston, my 20-mile run was due in the middle of a blizzard, just like today.  Tough stuff.  I did it on a treadmill indoors.  It’s all about determination and commitment to the goal.

HMF started its 24th season last weekend with two back-to-back O’races.  It was brutally cold.  You probably thought our staff indulged in a few too many holiday cookies and put on 10 pounds of winter weight.  But no, that was layers of clothing we were wearing to work through the single digits.

Runners are hearty souls, as evident by the thousands who ran with us at O’Shenanigans and the Courthouse O’Putnam (and were exceptionally joyful, I might add).  While you all deserve high fives for running, we are truly inspired and amazed by the incredible volunteers who came to work and support you.  How can we ever thank them enough?

And guess what?  We all get to do it again this weekend!  O’Niantic and O’Hartford promise to test the staff, chill the runners and challenge the volunteers.  But hey – bring it on!  My 10 pounds of ski gear are cleaned and ready for another weekend.


I promise, sunny, warm days are ahead...don’t complain to me about the heat this summer.

1 comment: