As we start out the race season, we're excited to share some updates to our HMF Can initiative, which always kicks off strong with the four-event series of O'race 5Ks in March.
Thanks to your generosity, HMF Can has thrived through the years, giving back in real ways to the communities we run in. With the premise that together, we can make a bigger impact, HMF Can has rallied race participants to donate non-perishable foods or other supplies to support community food pantries and local agencies since 2015.
For the past few years, those efforts have been amplified through our partnership with Stop & Shop, helping to bring awareness as well as recognize and thank race participants for their donations. Everyone who donates at the March races can pick up a free reusable shopping bag with thanks from Stop & Shop. Those that donate at the O'races will also be eligible for an extra token of thanks, one gift card will be raffled off from each of the following partners at their respective races: Sauced at Kinsmen, Courthouse Bar & Grille, Five Churches by the Bay, and Trinity Health Of New England Orthopedics (entry to Middletown 5K).
New this year, HMF race participants will have the opportunity to contribute to support the needs of students through school pantry programs in select communities, kicking off on Sunday, March 19, at the O'Hartford 5K. The Stop & Shop School Food Pantry Program has expanded to more than 165 schools across five states, with Hartford Public High School joining earlier this year.
Hartford Public High School "Grub Pub"
The Grub Pub aims to bridge the hunger gap during the evenings and weekends when students do not have access to school meals. Providing access to nutritious options and basic necessities to students and their families during off-school hours has improved student mental health and alleviated financial strain on families.
The food pantry will also be used to help students learn critical job roles. Students will help stock shelves, manage food inventory and run the pantry while serving the community.
Stop & Shop associates will be on site at O'Hartford to support the drive and volunteer their time to show their thanks to you. Let's all step up in a big way to make this a great contribution for the students!
HMF Can initiatives in 2023
Please join us in donation drive efforts at all of the following HMF Events. Check Final Instructions emails (also posted on event Web sites) during race week for details on any specific needs indicated by the beneficiaries:
- O'Shenanigans 5K: Bread for Life
- Courthouse O'Putnam 5K: IHSP - Daily Bread
- O'Niantic 5K: Gemma E. Moran United Way - Old Saybrook Schools
- O'Hartford 5K, presented by Trinity Health Of New England Orthopedics: Hartford Public High School "Grub Pub"
- Middletown 10K and 5K Run/Walk: Amazing Grace Food Pantry
- Burlington to Collinsville Classic 10K: Canton Food Bank- Trinity Episcopal Church
- Mystic Half Marathon & 10K: Gemma E. Moran United Way of Southeastern CT
- UCONN Health Half Marathon, 10K & 5K: Hartford Public High School food pantry, summer food service
- L+M Hospital Summer Stride: Three Rivers Community College food pantry
- Thirsty Thursday 5K, presented by Stanley Black & Decker: Capitol Community College food pantry
- Old Wethersfield 5K & 10K: TBD
- Surftown Half Marathon, Relay & 5K, presented by Westerly Hospital: Jonnycake Center of Westerly, RI
- Blue Back Mitten Run: Town That Cares Fund (hats, scarves mittens etc.)
Thanks to your continued efforts and generosity in joining us in the race against hunger!
Post a Comment