Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Trail Runs - Back to Basics



Gay City State Park, Hebron, CT
Trail runs lead us through beautiful terrain, often shaded by canopies of trees and winding through the hills and valleys of untouched land. As much as I love them, I must admit my relationship with trail running is rocky – quite literally. A certain level of coordination is required to run trails smoothly and unfortunately, I don’t really have it. As much as I love the beauty and serenity of the experience, the raw elements of nature cannot be denied. What makes the trail fun is also what makes the trail challenging. The unknown at every step – a rocky stretch, a stubborn root, a downed tree, a fresh patch of mud to get stuck in…you never know what you’re going to come across. How tough is trail running for me? My dad always said “Beth trips over the pattern in the kitchen linoleum.” Nevertheless, I do love running in the woods.

Connecticut State Parks are celebrating 100 years, and we love showing them off with trail races. With a few hundred friends, we enjoyed 3.3 and 5.5 miles at Gay City State Park in Hebron last weekend. We’re ready for another 3.5 miles at Bluff Point State Park in Groton this Sunday for our first-ever Bluff Point Trail Run.
Summer Solstice Trail Run Finishers

If you’re a little unsure about taking your run off the pavement, or a little coordination-challenged (like me), Bluff Point is great way to go. A smoother course than many with mostly dirt trails, it offers breathtaking views of Long Island Sound combined with lush forest. You can go it alone with the security of knowing our course monitors will have your back this Sunday. We cap entry to ensure a manageable field that also protects the trails we’re enjoying.

We welcome hearing about your favorite trails and the paths that brought you to them. Please share any suggestions you have for trail races or what you’d like to see in an upcoming off-road event.


2 comments:

  1. I'm super excited for Bluff Point. Having a race 5 minutes from my house is amazing. :D And it's such a beautiful run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I find myself very slow and unsteady in the woods. That's why I enjoy it for training when I don't care about pace, but don't enjoy it for racing. That said, I think it's terrific that HMF is offering more options. Keep up the good work, and see you Thursday at the first Scramble!
    PS: Do you think it's an age thing? Although I've always been a klutz.

    ReplyDelete