Friday, September 11, 2015

Meet Team HMF at Surftown

The Surftown Half Marathon & 5K has become a fan favorite amongst the HMF running community, including many members of Team HMF. Meet some of the team heading down to Surftown this weekend, and be sure to say hello!

Matthew Cieslowski

Hometown: Manchester CT
Occupation: High School social studies teacher
How long have you been running competitively? 3 years      
What is your favorite distance to race? Half Marathon
What is your favorite HMF race and why? I love the Surftown Half because it is held at the perfect time of year for a half, the course is breathtaking, and when it is over you can put your feet right into the ocean. It's the best. I've run it every year and hope to do so for the next 50 years. 
What was your single most memorable race day experience? Finishing my 5th marathon in Maine was the best because after many attempts and what seemed like endless training I finally was able to feel proud of not only finishing but also achieving a time that made me proud.   
Why do you run? I enjoy the sport because during the solo training runs and races I can feel totally alone and independent yet there is such a wonderfully supportive community of folks in the running world. The festive atmosphere before and after races is one of camaraderie that I enjoy immensely. Many races are held to support great causes and it feels good to do something for others while doing something for my fitness and myself.
What one piece of advice would you give to someone running his or her first race this year? Remember to relax and enjoy the experience, even though it is a competition you are ultimately out there in competition with yourself.

John Coppola

Hometown: Middletown, CT
Occupation: Account Manager
How long have you been running competitively? 6 years      
What is your favorite distance to race? Half Marathon          
What is your favorite HMF race and why? I really liked the Harvard Pilgrim Middletown Half Marathon. The course was challenging and fun. It was fun to race on the same roads I train on          
What was your single most memorable race day experience? My first 5k. A friend had suggested I try running a race with him. I mostly ran on a treadmill and had just transitioned to the road. I ended up finishing 3rd in my age group. I was hooked on racing after that day.             
Why do you run? There are almost too many reasons to list why I run. I find that it's a great stress reliever for me. I never feel anxiety during a run. It's really the only time I don't worry about anything. It frees my mind from all the burdens of everyday life. It gives me a great feeling of freedom.        
What one piece of advice would you give to someone running his or her first race this year? Just have fun. Don't worry if you're not fast or that anyone will make fun of you. Runners are very supportive of everyone who's out there on the course giving it their best. Don't forget to stretch after every run. 


Scott Hollister

Hometown: Glastonbury, CT
Occupation: Life Skills Teacher
How long have you been running competitively?   My first triathlon was at age 10 however, I did not enjoy the self-gratification in running until long after college. So 15 years, give or take.
What is your favorite distance to race?  Right now, I’m really enjoying half marathons. 5k’s and I have a love hate relationship.
What is your favorite HMF race and why? The Riverfront Scramble series are my fav. I love not knowing what each race will be in terms of the course and distance until just before the gun. It makes most competitive runners crazy and therefore you get a wonderful group of runners who are more focussed on having a good time rather than racing for time.
What was your single most memorable race day experience? This year was running half marathon shoulder to shoulder with my 68 year old father and both breaking our PR’s.
What's your "Go To" Post race meal?  I love nachos and pizza and if the race was long enough, I’d order both and consume together.
Why do you run?   I was once told “Health, Wealth and Happiness you can pick two” Running has given me two of the three and I’m extremely grateful for this decision.
What one piece of advice would you give to someone running his or her first race this year?  Enjoy the moment; take it all in. You’re going to PR no matter when you finish so leave some room for improvement and finish feeling strong.



Lanham Miller

Hometown: Glastonbury, CT
Occupation: Youth Program Manager at the Connecticut Forum
How long have you been running competitively? 6 years      
What is your favorite distance to race? Half Marathon
What is your favorite HMF race and why? The Hartford Half Marathon. I love how much hype and pride the marathon produces for the city of Hartford. The organization of the event and crowd support throughout the course is unbelievably awesome. This year will be the 9th year that I've run the half marathon and being a Team HMF athlete has given me a boost of confidence that I can train hard and shoot for a PR! That is what makes me love HMF events so much; the spirit of these races is contagious and thrilling.   
What was your single most memorable race day experience? I don't remember a whole lot from races. I love cheering other runners on, giving high-fives to cheering crowds. Of course, the moment I cross the finish line is always pure joy. My husband is usually waiting at the finish line--- so that definitely gives me something to look forward to.                 
Why do you run? Running is my therapy. I have yet to find something that is so freeing, exciting and instantly gratifying.       
What one piece of advice would you give to someone running his or her first race this year? You're going to be nervous. But know that being nervous before a race is GOLD! My experience has been that my heart races, my throat gets a little tight, and my body just can't wait to get moving (and moving fast). Once the race starts, just take it all in, embrace the jitters and enjoy the ride. A race is something you CHOSE to do, so have fun doing it.


Eric Pouliot



Hometown: Sturbridge, MA
Occupation: Outdoor Sports retailer
How long have you been running competitively?  4 years
What is your favorite distance to race? Half Marathon
What is your favorite HMF race and why? It's hard to choose since all the HMF events venues each have fantastic organization and unique venues, but favorite would be the Surftown Half Marathon. Although Mystic was a pretty close second, both have coastal locations and fast courses so it hard to chose but Surftown wins.
What's your "Go to" pre race meal? I wish this wasn't true but strawberry pop tarts with some additional raw honey on top are usually my good luck charms!
Why do you run? The main reason I run is the fulfillment I get by covering distances with my own two feet! Running has enabled me to enjoy meeting new friends and traveling to new places all while taking in the beautiful scenery. Running also enables me to escape the ability to just slap on some shoes and just go gives me a feeling of freedom that I don't get from any other sport!
What one piece of advice would you give to someone running his or her first race this year? Have fun and don't get stressed out, you're out the to have fun and see what you capable of. Just go out there give it your all and know that you’re probably going to want to sign up for your next race by the time you get home!



No comments:

Post a Comment